All last week I made some mini hat and pillbox frames by blocking buckram. I plan to make one of the brimmed hats into a tricorn hat, if not both. I just need some trim for the outside of the brim.
I covered one of the pillbox hats and it’s nearly complete. I just need to permanently attach the flower pendant.
Remember the cocktail hat frame from last time? It’s finally covered. I didn’t get to work on more flowers in class, but I plan on making smaller ones to put on this. I also wired the crown for the fedora but I feel I made it too short.. but I still need to make the brim.
Next week we will finally be sculpting a hat with sinamay. The teacher gave us a natural colored piece and I decided to dye mine. I want to use two different colors together – makes it more interesting.
I used RIT powdered dye. To get the nice rich darker colors I used dying directions I found online and combined them with the RIT dye directions. Directions can be found here.
I’m also going to post a little tutorial on wiring your buckram :] » Tutorial can be found here