I gave the flower making a second try since I still need something to put on my cocktail hat. I only used the smaller petals and didn’t put a lot on. Turned out much better – also since I had better glue this time. I left the hat piece at school so I won’t be able to put the flowers on until Monday. I’ll also be blocking a wool felt hat. There’s only 2 classed left :[
Today we learned how to use the french flower making tools. It was quite interesting. Putting the flower together however was a bit frustrating. My pedals kept falling off because the glue wasn’t holding very well. I also don’t think I really like the way the flower looks. Maybe because it’s too big or maybe I should have made the petals curve outward more. Oh well. I’ll keep doing it until I get it right – and make them smaller. After all, this is what is going on the cocktail hat.
We have a bunch of different projects going on at once. Next week we can continue our flowers and we will also start sculpting a hat with sinamay. Down the road we also will be blocking straw and wool felt hats.
I’m taking a millinery class this summer and it started last week. I’m pretty excited! I really want to learn and have experience making real hats. Yesterday I learned to block with buckram. We’re going to make little cocktail hat and learn French flower making. Now I just need to pick out what fabric I want to cover the buckram with and what shape I want to make it! Decisions, decisions..