flower making part 2

I gave the flower making a second try since I still need something to put on my cocktail hat. I only used the smaller petals and didn’t put a lot on. Turned out much better – also since I had better glue this time. I left the hat piece at school so I won’t be able to put the flowers on until Monday. I’ll also be blocking a wool felt hat. There’s only 2 classed left :[

sculpting a hat with sinamay

Today in class we worked on sculpting a hat with our sinamay. I used the sinamay I dyed. Before dying, It was one big square that I cut along the bias to make two triangle pieces. So the idea was to pin it to your head block and start playing around with it.

First things first. You can either roll the edges for a clean look or unravel them for a more wilder look. I decided to roll them. It took a good while and made my thumbs hurt, but it was worth it.

rolling the edges of the sinamay so it doesn’t fray

Then I put my two pieces together and folded them in half to create a band to go around the head. I then pinned it around my head block. I had both ends sticking out and decided to twist them around and created something that reminds me of a flower. Now I have these big pieces to play around with and figure out what I think looks best.

starting off

I kept changing the sides and re-pinning the pieces since I didn’t like the way it came out the first time. The first time I had the pieces curve on both sides, didn’t like it, so I took all the pins out and decided to move it all to one side.

what I ended up with

The last step is tacking where all the pins are with thread so all the pieces stay in place.

all pieces are tacked – ready to wear!

I had a small piece left over and sculpted a little head piece. I’m either going to put it on a headband or put a comb on it.

left over pieces

 
 

french flower making

Today we learned how to use the french flower making tools. It was quite interesting. Putting the flower together however was a bit frustrating.  My pedals kept falling off because the glue wasn’t holding very well. I also don’t think I really like the way the flower looks. Maybe because it’s too big or maybe I should have made the petals curve outward more. Oh well. I’ll keep doing it until I get it right – and make them smaller. After all, this is what is going on the cocktail hat.

We have a bunch of different projects going on at once. Next week we can continue our flowers and we will also start sculpting a hat with sinamay. Down the road we also will be blocking straw and wool felt hats.

summer fun

I’m taking a millinery class this summer and it started last week. I’m pretty excited! I really want to learn and have experience making real hats. Yesterday I learned to block with buckram. We’re going to make little cocktail hat and learn French flower making. Now I just need to pick out what fabric I want to cover the buckram with and what shape I want to make it! Decisions, decisions..

We only got this far since we had to wait for them to dry.